Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Library is a Dangerous Place

Every time I check out a book about homeschooling at the library I start thinking about doing it all over again.  I've thought about it now and again for the last 4 years, but I just wasn't ready.  Then I picked up The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at home at the library.



Just a few pages into it, I realized that I had found what I was looking for.

I knew I wasn't an unschooler; I'm just not built for that.  I need more structure and order in my life.  I knew I couldn't do school at home, because that kind of defeated the purpose of removing them from school.  I wanted something different, but I didn't know what it was until I read this book.

Now I am getting myself organized and ordering books on the internet the way a drunk orders at an open bar.  I have joined various homeschooling groups on the internet and spoken to a few local homeschooling parents.  The only thing I haven't done yet is pull my kids out of school......or tell them that they won't be going back.

I have talked to them in the hypothetical about homeschooling.  My son, Aki, is excited about the idea of getting to do things at his own pace.  Hanachan wants to do both, which is not doable in the state of New York.  I still have lots of time to talk to them about it and discuss the pros and cons.

My hubby and I both want to let them finish out the school year (there's only about 50 days of school left).  I'm curious and nervous to see how the people in our lives react.  Most of them will probably think I've lost my mind.  I can't say that I entirely disagree with that.

1 comment:

Cherie' said...

I am very excited for you and am about to do the same thing with my son who is in second grade. Good luck and I look forward to going on the journey with you.