Monday, May 3, 2010

Best Science Songs Ever

My family has been listening to these since my oldest was a wee one and they are so much fun.

Singing Science Records

album coveralbum cover

Someone who grew up listening to these LP's found them in his parents basement and posted them online as MP3's. They are sputnik era songs that have great lyrics. If you have ever heard the They Might Be Giants version you might recognize, Why Does the Sun Shine?.

I think hearing a toddler talking about gravity and the sun being a mass of incandescent gas is just about the best thing ever. They've learned how far away the sun is, 93 million miles; and how big the earth is, 25,000 miles around. As my kids have gotten older they've asked questions about things that are mentioned in the songs initiating science discussions.

Ballad of Sir Isaac Newton (I promise, I'm not making these up!)
E-lec-tri-city
Kinetic and Potential Energy
What's Inside Our Earth

These are a few of my personal favorites. I could list about a dozen more, but I won't.
Well worth a listen.


No comments: