Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Update


Now that school is over I have sent in my LOIs and I'm writing my IHIPs (that's an individualized home instruction plan for those lucky ones of you who don't have to write one) and letting the kids just play. The IHIPs are taking a lot longer than I thought they would. I've never done one before and I'm not really sure what to write. Thankfully, I have the internet and other wonderful homeschoolers who are willing and happy to share what they have done. I'm betting that next year it won't be as stressful or time consuming.

We watched some of "America: The Story of Us" when it was on TV and now I'm not so excited about getting the DVD. I just couldn't watch anymore. I really hope teachers don't end up showing it in their classrooms. Having pop culture icons, news anchors and politicians as the
majority of the commentators was ridiculous to say the least. The graphics were cheesy and the things that they chose to focus on seemed random and not always accurate. Obviously entertainment was valued over any attempt to actually portray history. Do you remember when the history channel actually had shows about history?

We still haven't gone to the mummy exhibit in NYC. I think we will wait until school starts and go in the middle of the week. I love that I can do that now. We have gone to Boston and DC in the last few weeks and it was a lot of fun. I did make one rookie mistake. The Boston trip was a little spur of the moment and I didn't really prep the kids for what we would be doing. Other than a good workout, they didn't get much out of walking the freedom trail. That's okay, because I can do it again another time, if the kids will let me. As you can see from ET's face in the picture, Bunker Hill really is a hill and it's a long walk.

No comments: